"It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won’t go."
It's a waste of time and life to be angry with family and it's a waste of time and money to be angry with business partners.
Conflict mediation and resolution is the most desirable result of all quarrels and misunderstandings we have with others. Otherwise, we treat those we love with anything but love and we can burn bridges in business forever when emotions get the better of us. However, even though we know the intrinsic truth belonging to these facts, when put in a sticky position, it can be utterly impossible to be rational.
The Masters degree in Mediation and Conflict Resolution prepares students to guide those who are unfortunate enough to be in the midst of a conflict (whether it be between family, businesses, or a community) through their disagreements and to bring people together back to a peaceful, more rational, state.
Master's in Mediation and Conflict Resolution Concepts
Specifically, a Masters degree program in Mediation and Conflict Resolution will provide you with knowledge in most if not all of the following areas:
- Social and cultural causes of conflict in families, organizations, and communities
- Develop methods of resolutions
- Learn communication techniques to resolve disputes
- Human development
- Mental health & psychopathology in the workplace
- Counseling & psychotherapy theories
- Issues in human diversity
- Statistics & psychometrics
- Professional ethics & law
- Theories of conflict
- Diagnosing conflict
- Conflict management between individuals, groups and organizations
- Community strategies
- Intercultural, societal & global conflict resolution and mediation
Salary Benefits and Career Possibilities
As per the Bureau of Labor and Statistics occupational employment and wages, May 2014 data1, across the country, Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators earned a mean salary of $70,740. The top 10% of earners in these fields averaged $121,050.
Typically, a masters degree in conflict resolution or mediation is the end of the educational road. Many careers are typically available for those educated in this area at a masters level. However, for those wishing to improve their skill set and also prepare themselves to be able to demand better compensation for their services, PhD programs in Mediation and Conflict Resolution is available.
Career possibilities for those with a Master's degree in Psychology
- Community college instructor
- Managerial positions in human resources and many other fields
1 BLS Statistics May 2014