Kansas Social Work Licensure
How to become a Social Worker in Kansas...
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Kansas. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board at (785) 296-3240 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Kansas Social Work License:
To practice as a social worker in Kansas you will need your...
- Bachelors degree in social work from an approved school to become a Licensed Bachelor Social Worker (LBSW).
- OR, a Masters degree in social work from an approved school to be a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or to be a Licensed Specialist Clinical Social Worker (LSCSW).
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Supervised Work Experience:
- No work experience is required for a LBSW.
- No work experience is required for a LMSW.
- A LSCSW will need 4000 hours of supervised clinical work experience taking no more than 6 years.
More details about the hourly requirements with a qualified supervisor can be found on the Kansas Behavioral Sciences and Regulatory Board website.
Next, all level of social work licensure candidates will need to download the appropriate Kansas social work license application and submit it to the Board along with all other needed forms and fees.
You may download the applications off the following Kansas Behavioral Sciences and Regulatory Board webpage.
After the Board has approved your application, they will contact you with information about the Association of Social Work Boards exams. The Kansas Licensed Bachelor Social Worker will need to pass the Basic Level exam. The Licensed Master Social Worker will need to pass the Intermediate competency exam. And the Licensed Specialist Clinical Social Worker needs to pass the Clinical competency exam.
Information on all exams is available on the ASWB website.
This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Kansas Social Worker license active is important.