Maryland Social Work Licensure
How to become a Social Worker in Maryland...
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Maryland. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners at (410)-764-4788 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Maryland Social Work License:
Education requirements for Maryland social work licensure:
- Licensed Social Work Associate (LSWA) licensure applicants need to earn their bachelor's degree in social work from an accredited school.
- Licensed Graduate Social Worker (LGSW), Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW), and Licensed Certified Social Worker - Clinical (LCSW-C) licensure candidates will need to earn their masters degree in social work from an accredited school.
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Next, complete work experience requirements:
- LSWA and LGSW applicants are not required to have work experience prior to licensing.
- LCSW licensure candidates need to have a LGSW license and two years of 3000 hours supervised work experience. In addition, candidates will need to have a written contract with a qualified supervisor before receiving direct supervision.
- LCSW-C applicants will also need a LGSW license and a written contract with a supervisor before beginning supervision. The required supervision includes 3000 hours with at least half being in direct contact with clients. The type of work experience differs from that of a LCSW, check the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners website for more details.
The application for each level of licensure is the same. The form outlines the various documents needed for each license. Submit the necessary forms and fees to the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners. Once they have approved your application the Board will notify you of your eligibility to sit for the appropriate level exam. You can download the application off the following Maryland Board's webpage.
Complete the appropriate examination for your target licensure:
- LSWA applicants need to pass the Bachelors level examination.
- LGSW applicants need to pass the Masters level examination.
- LCSW applicants need to pass the Advanced Generalist level examination.
- LCSW-C applicants need to pass the Clinical examination.
All exams are administered by the Association of Social Work Boards and they will provide the official scores to the Maryland Board. Once the Board has verified your score, they will issue you a license within a week. More information for each of the exams can be found on the ASWB website.
This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Maryland Social Worker license active is important.