Mississippi Social Work Licensure
How to become a Social Worker in Mississippi...
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Mississippi. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Mississippi State Board of Examiners for Social Workers at (601) 987-6806 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Mississippi Social Work License:
Complete education requirements for Mississippi social work licensure:
- A Licensed Social Worker (LSW) candidate will need to get their bachelors degree in social work from an accredited school.
- A Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) candidate needs a masters degree in social work form an accredited school.
- A Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) candidate needs to have a current LMSW license and therefore will need their masters in social work from an accredited school.
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Work experience requirements:
- Licensed Social Worker (LSW) - no experience is required
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) - no experience is required
- A LMSW needs to submit a plan for supervised work experience before beginning the required supervision to become an LCSW. Once the plan is approved you will need to have 100 hours of supervision over a minimum of 2 years with no more than one hour per week.
Detailed instructions about the supervision, qualifying supervisors as well as the application form can all be found under here under the Guide link on the following Mississippi State Board of Examiners webpage.
A student within 15 semester hours of graduation can submit an initial license application to take the appropriate level exam through the Association of Social Work Boards. A LMSW will need to include proof of completed supervised experience with their application for LCSW. The application for all licensures is available here.
The Board will review your application and notify you of your eligibility to take the appropriate examination.
- A LSW candidate will take the basic level exam.
- A LMSW candidate will need to pass the intermediate level exam.
- A LCSW candidate will need to pass the clinical or advanced level exam.
Information about each exam can be found on the ASWB website.
This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Mississippi Social Worker license active is important.