How to become a Social Worker in Missouri...
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Missouri. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Missouri Committee of Social Workers at (573)-751-0885 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Missouri Social Work License:
Complete education requirements for Missouri social work licensure:
- Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW) candidates will need to earn their bachelor's degree in social work from an accredited school.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) candidates will need at least a masters degree in social work form an accredited school.
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Next, you will need to complete the necessary work experience for licensure. Candidates for both licensure levels will need to submit a supervision plan to the Missouri Committee for Social Workers before they can begin earning the hourly requirements.
- LBSW applicants do not need work experience prior to licensure; however, they can obtain an Independent Practice certificate by completing 3000 hours of supervised experience in no less than 2 years.
- LCSW applicants need to complete 3000 hours of supervised clinical experience in no more than 2 years.
More details about the work experience requirements and necessary qualifications of supervisors can be found on the Missouri Committee for Social Workers website.
When you submit your supervision plan to the Committee, you are qualifying yourself for approval to take the appropriate level examination through the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). After taking the examination, you will need to have the ASWB send your official passing scores to the Missouri Committee.
- LBSW applicants will need to take the Basic or Intermediate level examination.
- LCSW applicants will need to take the Clinical level examination.
Next, you will need to download the Missouri social work license application and submit the application including all supporting documents and fees to the Missouri Committee for Social Workers. Once the Committee has reviewed your application, received your examination scores and fees, they will notify you of your licensure status.
You can download the application here.
This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Missouri Social Worker license active is important.