How to become a Social Worker in Oklahoma
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Oklahoma. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Social Workers at (405) 946-7230 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Oklahoma Social Work License:
Education requirements for Oklahoma social work licensure:
- Licensed Social Worker Associate (LSWA) licensure candidates will need at least a bachelor's degree in social work from an accredited school.
- Licensed Social Worker with a specialty of administration (LSW-Adm), Licensed Social Worker (LSW), Licensed Masters Social Worker (LMSW), and Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) licensures require a masters degree in social work from an accredited school.
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Complete work experience requirements associated with the following licensure types:
- A LSWA will need 2 years or 4000 hours of supervised social work experience under a qualifying supervisor.
- A LSW-Adm will need 2 years or 4000 hours of supervised work experience in an administrative setting.
- A LSW will need 2 years or 4000 hours of supervised social work experience by a qualified supervisor.
- Licensed Masters Social Worker (LMSW) - No experience is required
- A LCSW will need 2 years of supervised clinical social work experience equaling 4000 hours. The hours cannot be earned until the degree has been completed.
More information about the work experience requirements and qualifying supervisors for each licensure level are available on the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Social Workers website.
Now you can download the Oklahoma social work license application and submit the application along with all other supporting documents and required fees to the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Social Workers.
You can download the application off the Oklahoma Board's website.
The Board will review your application and once approved you will be eligible to take the appropriate level exam administered by the Association of Social Work Boards.
- LSWA candidates will need to take the Bachelor's level exam.
- LSW-Admn, LSW, and LMSW candidates will need to take the Masters or Advanced level exam.
- LCSW candidates will need to take the Clinical level exam.
Information about each Oklahoma social work licensure examination can be found on the ASWB website.
This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Oklahoma Social Worker license active is important.