Rhode Island Social Work Licensure
How to become a Social Worker in Rhode Island
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Rhode Island. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Rhode Island Board of Examiners in Social Workers at (401) 222-1057 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Rhode Island Social Work License:
Complete education requirements for the appropriate licensure:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) licensure applicants will need at least a masters degree in social work from an accredited school.
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Professional experience requirements for social work licensure:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) - no experience necessary
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) - candidates need to hold a current LCSW license and have 2 years of supervised experience.
More details about the hourly requirements and qualifying supervisors can be found in the rules and regulations on the Rhode Island Board of Examiners of Social Workers website.
Now you can download the Rhode Island social work license application and submit the application to the Rhode Island Office of Health Professionals Regulation Board of Examiners in Social Workers. In addition, you will need to include supporting documents and fees.
You can download the application off the Rhode Island Board's website.
The Board will review your application and once approved, you will be notified of your eligibility to sit for the appropriate level Association of Social Work Board's exam.
- LCSW candidates will need to take and pass the Masters/Intermediate Examination.
- LICSW applicants will need to take the Clinical Examination.
More information about both of the exams can be found on the ASWB website.
This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Rhode Island Social Worker license active is important.