Washington Social Work Licensure
How to become a Social Worker in Washington...
Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Washington. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Washington State Department of Health at (360) 236-4700 to make sure you are on the right track.
Follow the steps to earn your Washington Social Work License:
Fulfill the necessary educational requirements for Washington social work licensure.
- Licensed Advanced Social Worker (LASW) and Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) licensure applicants will need at least a masters degree in social work from an accredited school.
Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.
Complete the necessary work experience required for your desired licensure.
- LASW candidates will need at least 3200 hours of supervised work experience.
- LISW candidates will need at least 4000 hours of supervised work experience.
More details about the hourly requirements and qualifying supervisors can be found on the following Washington State Legislature webpage.
Now, you can submit the Washington social work licensure application to the Washington State Department of Health. You will need to include all supporting documents and required fees.
You may download the application off the following Washington State Department of Health webpage.
Once the Department has reviewed your application, you will be notified of your eligibility to take the appropriate level exam.
- LASW licensure applicants will need to pass the Advanced level exam.
- LISW licensure applicants will need to pass the Clinical level exam.
Information about both exams can be found on the ASWB website.