Michigan Social Work Licensure

Table of Content

Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their social work licensure in Michigan. Most procedures and requirements remain constant over the years; however, it is wise to contact the Michigan Health Professions Licensing Division at (517) 335-0918 to make sure you are on the right track.

Steps to Earn Your Michigan Social Work License:

Step One:

  • Licensed bachelor's social worker (BSW) licensure candidates need a bachelors degree in social work from an accredited school.
  • Licensed master's social worker (LMSW) and Licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) applicants need a masters degree in social work from an accredited school.

Request information from schools offering social work degree programs.

Step Two:

Once you have earned your degree, you can apply for a limited license from the Michigan Board of Social Work in order to begin post-degree supervised work experience. The limited licenses are the same as a full licensure application.

You may download both bachelor and master level Michigan social work licensure application packets off the following Michigan Department of Community Health webpage.

Step Three:

Each level of licensure candidate needs to complete at least 2 years of post-graduate work experience or 4000 hours in a setting that is appropriate for the license they are pursuing. The experience should be done under a Board approved supervisor.

More information about work experience and qualifying supervisors can be found in the Michigan Social Work General Rules.

Step Four:

When the supervised work experience requirements have been met, you will need to submit another application to the Michigan Board of Social Work for a full licensure.

You can download the Michigan social work license application here.

Step Five:

The Board will review your application and notify you once you are eligible to take the examination administered by the Association of Social Work Boards. The following are licensures associated with the necessary examinations.

  • The licensed bachelor's social worker candidate will need to pass the Bachelor's Examination.
  • The licensed masters social worker candidate will need to pass the Advanced Generalist Examination.
  • The licensed clinical social worker candidate will need to pass the Clinical Examination.

More information about each of the exams can be found on the ASWB website.

This process can take some time, so being aware of deadlines and keeping your Michigan Social Worker license active is important.

Our Partner Listings