Arizona MFT Licensure

Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their marriage and family therapist licensure in Arizona. These procedures rarely change; however, it is wise to contact the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners in Marriage and Family Therapy at (602) 542-1882 to make sure you are on the right track.

Step One:

To become an Arizona licensed marriage and family therapist, you will need to complete a masters degree in behavioral science from an accredited school. Request information from additional schools offering Marriage and Family Therapy programs in Arizona. If you have not completed a bachelor's degree program yet, Click Here.

Step Two:

For Arizona Associate Marriage and Family Therapist Licensure:

After completing your degree, you can submit an application for Arizona associate marriage and family therapist licensure. You will then need to pass the approved licensure examination.

Download the general licensure application and marriage and family therapy supplement application from the following Arizona Board of Behavioral Sciences webpage. Once completed, sent in and approved, you will be sent testing information. You can call the Professional Examination Service at (212) 367-4248 for further testing information.

Side-note: Associates marriage and family therapists are not required to have any supervised work experience and once licensed they can only practice under direct supervision.

For Arizona Marriage and Family Therapist Licensure:

After you have received your degree, you will need 3200 hours of supervised work experience in no less than 2 years. At least 1600 hours need to be completed through direct client contact with the majority being with couples and families. Your supervisor needs to be approved by the board before your hours may count.

You can check details of the hourly work experience and supervision requirements by clicking the requirements link off the following webpage.

Step Three:

When you have finished the above steps, you can download your application and mail it in to the board. If you are not a licensed associate MFT, then you will need to include the License Supplement. Both applications and mailing address are available on the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners website.

Step Four:

The Arizona board accepts the marriage and family therapy examination provided by the Professional Examination Service (PES). Once your application has been approved the board will send you information about the examination procedure.

For more information about PES testing locations, dates, and examination content, visit the PES website.

Our Partner Listings