Washington MFT Licensure

Table of Content

Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their marriage and family therapist licensure in Washington. These procedures rarely change; however, it is wise to contact the Washington State Department of Health at (360) 236-4700 to make sure you are on the right track.

Steps to Earn Your Washington MFT License:

Step One:

You will first need to complete educational requirements for Washington Marriage and Family Therapist licensure. You will need to complete a master's or doctoral degree program in Marriage and Family Therapy accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) or, complete a graduate degree program in a similar behavioral science field that meets all required coursework and is offered through an approved institution.

Request information from schools offering Marriage and Family Therapy programs in Washington. If you have not completed a bachelor's degree program yet, Click Here.

Step Two:

After receiving your master's degree, you will need to begin earning 3000 hours of supervised work experience (1000 of which should be in direct client contact).

More information regarding specific supervised experience requirements and the necessary qualifications of supervisors can be found on the following Washington State Legislature webpages: Supervised Postgraduate Experience and Approved Supervisor Qualifications.

Step Three:

Now, you will need to submit a Washington Marriage and Family Therapist licensure application to the Washington State Department of Health. Be sure to include all supporting documents and necessary fees as stated on the application.

You may download the application here.

Step Four:

Once the Department has evaluated and approved your MFT licensure application, you will be notified of your eligibility to take the national Examination in Marital and Family Therapy. Information about the exam can be found on the AMFTRB website.

Our Partner Listings