How to become a Counselor in Montana

Below are basic guidelines for those wishing to earn their counseling certification in Montana. Most of these requirements, such as earning your Master’s degree, completing 3200 hours of supervised experience and passing the NCE examination, are likely to continue to be mandatory in the Montana counseling licensure process. However, it is wise to contact the Montana Board of Social Work Examiners and Professional Counselors at (406) 841-2392 to make sure you are on the right track.

I’m a High School Graduate

You are showing a great amount of motivation if you are researching the counseling career as a high school graduate. Montana counseling certification requires candidates to possess a master’s level of education. In other words, a college education is necessary for this career (as well as many other professional careers).

If you’re wondering how you can get started on earning that master’s degree, you can start by looking into enrolling in an associate or bachelor’s degree program. Click on the links below to browse schools offering programs in psychology or counseling.

Once you have enrolled in a program, take advantage of your school’s career services department to learn how you can find employment or volunteer opportunities that are related to the counseling career path.

Already Received Bachelor’s Degree

Once you have your bachelor’s degree, you should start looking for a school that offers a master’s or doctoral degree program in counseling. Request information from additional Montana Counseling Schools.

Step One:

Complete 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of a graduate degree in a counseling or related field, including a six-semester advanced counseling practicum.

Or, you may have the option to complete 45 semester or 67.5 quarter hours if you can show you have the intention to go back to school to complete the 60/90 requirement once licensed.

Step Two:

Montana counseling licensure requires you to complete 3000 hours of supervised experience. 1500 of those hours may be done pre-degree completion. Your experience supervisor must be a licensed counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist.

More information on basic supervisor requirements and experience requirements for those seeking Montana counseling certification can be found on the Montana Board’s website.

Step Three:

Complete a Montana counseling license application and then send the application back to the Montana Board of Social Work Examiners and Professional Counselors.

You may download the application from the following Montana Board’s webpage. Include 3 reference letters from individuals with Master’s or higher degrees in the mental health care profession.

Step Four:

After your application has been evaluated and approved by the Montana Board, you should be notified of your eligibility to sit for the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination.

You can learn more about the contents, dates, locations and registration on the NBCC website.

Our Partner Listings